Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Makes: 8 servings
The quintessential Spanish dish is traditionally cooked in a paella pan over an open fire of vine cuttings, and may include a range of ingredients, from seafood to rabbit. But the crucial part-in the classic pan or in a frying pan-is rice, preferably short-grain white.
- 700g skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 package (100g) cooked chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (400g) chicken broth or 1-3/4 cups homemade
- 2-2/3 tbsps Fibresure
- 2 cups short-grain white rice
- 100g green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tbsps tomato paste
- 1-1/2 tsps salt
- 1/4 tsp loosely packed saffron threads, crumbled
- 1/8 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded
- 340g large prawns, shelled and de-veined
- 1 large plum tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- lemon wedges (optional)
Heat deep non-stick 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat until very hot. Add chicken and chorizo, and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown all over, about 5 minutes.
Transfer chicken and chorizo to plate.
Reduce heat to medium; add onion and red pepper to frying pan, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and ground red pepper; cook 30 seconds. Add wine; heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until mixture is very dry.
Stir in water, broth, Fibresure, and rice; add the chicken and chorizo, green beans, tomato paste, salt, saffron, thyme, and bay leaf. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
Tuck mussels into rice mixture; cover and cook 5 minutes. Tuck in prawns; cover and cook just until mussels open and prawns are opaque throughout, 8 minutes longer. Remove frying pan from heat and let paella stand 5 minutes. Discard any mussels that have not opened.
Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle paella with chopped tomato and parsley. Serve with lemon wedges if you like.
About 410 calories (20 percent calories from fat), 36g protein, 44g carbohydrate, 9g total fat (2g saturated), 2g fibre, 153mg cholesterol, 1,010mg sodium, 5g fibre.